Inspired by apartment therapy I decided to tackle a very large project using plywood and some paint
1 sheet plywood
paint or spray paint
1. Choose your text, ours is from the TRAGICALLY HIP song Ahead by a Century
2. Remove any stickers or price tags from your plywood
3. Paint or spray your plywood if you would like your text to be colored, otherwise skip this step if you would like your words to be natural. I used rustoleum spray paint
4. Spray or paint a nice even coat and let it dry
5. Make sure you have enough vinyl letters for your text, I purchased 4" letters from staples as they were slightly cheaper than Michaels. Letters could be larger or smaller depending on your personal preference.
6. Using painters tape create a line to follow. I placed my lines 5 inches apart and used a level to ensure the tape was somewhat straight.
7. Add your text making sure the bottom of the letter is lined up with the tape. I used my the width of my thumb as a guide for spacing between letters and I used the width of 4 fingers for spacing between each word.
8. Once you have added your text, smooth over each letter with your finger to ensure that its secure and there are no air bubbles. Remove painters tape.
9. Next apply paint directly over the plywood and your letters. I used a martha stewart tester size in "Zinc" and a foam roller brush
My assistant made sure I didn't miss any spots
10. Once the paint is dry, carefully peel away the vinyl letters
11. If any of the paint has bled onto your text you can take a knife and softly scrape away at it, I didn't want mine to look perfect so I just tackled any major spots.
12. And the final product!!! We will probably just drill it right onto the wall
Thanks for looking!!
Lengthen Curtains and Hang higher