Monday, April 16, 2012

DIY Roman Blind

BEFORE

I adore our new  kitchen however I'm not fond of the terrible view which looks out directly to the side of our neighbours house and window. We have lived here for approximately 5 months and haven't even bothered to change out the horrible plastic mini blinds which I'm certain are original to the house.. straight from the 80's !
After browsing pinterest I found many posts on do it yourself roman blinds.  No sewing? the chance to use beautiful fabric? sold.

I found the directions at involving color  to be most helpful. She clearly has great taste as her kitchen is very similar to mine!

I've had my eyes on Maize Print Vintage Blossom  and had no problem finding a yard of it at Chintz. Next I purchased a small bottle of no sew fabric glue from Walmart.

Here we go..

<><><><> <><><><>
After careful measurements, we began cutting fabric and gluing seams (Hubby hands, not mine)


<><><><>
Note to self: next time purchase fabric glue that does NOT require ironing.. this increased the project time by HOURS.  

Basically you remove all of the slats except for a few, this will determine how many folds your blind will have. Once you lay your fabric out, ensure you have about 1/2 inch allowance on the sides to ensure the blinds are hidden. Glue the fabric to the blinds and let dry

AFTER


2 comments:

  1. Love this! I have a new kitchen to, well when the tiler actually comes back and finishes...mmm. I have a love/hate relationship with most commercial blinds. Ready to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain! trust me once you try out this project you wont go back to a regular miniblind again! I would love a picture of how yours turns out. good luck

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!!