Sunday, April 29, 2012

plywood artwork

Finding large artwork is proving to be difficult and expensive. We have a number of walls with huge voids.. I think this low cost project is perfect.

Inspired by apartment therapy  I decided to tackle a very large project using plywood and some paint



Supply List
1 sheet plywood
paint or spray paint
painters tape
vinyl letters
knife


Instructions

1. Choose your text, ours is from the TRAGICALLY HIP song Ahead by a Century

2. Remove any stickers or price tags from your plywood


3. Paint or spray your plywood if you would like your text to be colored, otherwise skip this step if you would like your words to be natural. I used rustoleum spray paint






4. Spray or paint a nice even coat and let it dry


5. Make sure you have enough vinyl letters for your text, I purchased 4" letters from staples as they were slightly cheaper than Michaels. Letters could be larger or smaller depending on your personal preference.


 6. Using painters tape create a line to follow. I placed my lines 5 inches apart and used a level to ensure the tape was somewhat straight.








7. Add your text making sure the bottom of the letter is lined up with the tape. I used my the width of my thumb as a guide for spacing between letters and I used the width of 4 fingers for spacing between each word.



8. Once you have added your text, smooth over each letter with your finger to ensure that its secure and there are no air bubbles. Remove painters tape.







9. Next apply paint directly over the plywood and your letters. I used a martha stewart tester size in "Zinc" and a foam roller brush


My assistant made sure I didn't miss any spots


10. Once the paint is dry, carefully peel away the vinyl letters


11. If any of the paint has bled onto your text you can take a knife and softly scrape away at it, I didn't want mine to look perfect so I just tackled any major spots.






12. And the final product!!! We will probably just drill it right onto the wall


Thanks for looking!!


Family Room
Baseboards
Area Rug
Make Pillows
Fireplace Makeover
Lengthen Curtains and Hang higher
Photo Wall
Large artwork
update sofa covers



17 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!!!! Gosh it's totally AWESOME!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love this project! it was simple and effective and the lyric gives me a good reminder everyday :)

      Delete
  2. that's awesome! i've never seen anything that big! what a powerful piece to have in your home... such a great reminder! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome. I love the idea of using such a big piece of wood! Makes quite a statement! Great job!

    sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very good idea and i LOVE the result. I might do something like this for the large white wall in our living room ... Thanks for sharing,
    Jule

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out wonderful!! Love your little helper!! Thank you for sharing at Uncommon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of the yellow letters with the plywood! Awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun project. Thanks so very much for sharing!

    xoxo, Tauni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a nice and fun project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! And I love your assistant. We moved into our home 3 years ago. We have a huge wall in our family room and it has taken me a while to find budget minded items to hang there. Why wasn't I as clever as you? Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup! Hope you will share often!
    Hugs,
    Jann
    p.s. Could not see where to follow you. Is it on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jann
      I love the large plywood art! it definitely makes a huge statement and if I tire of it I can always paint over it or take it down. Im fairly new to blogging.. Im not sure how you can follow me other than automatic email updates (that feature is on the sidebar)
      thanks so much for checking
      Amanda

      Delete
  12. Great! And the ply would give a nice texture. Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday again. Cheers Bree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am featuring you today!
    Kim@madeinaday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just really like dealing with wooden created and am always looking for new methods of doing it.I have acquired a lot of details from your blog.

    MDF Board | Veneered MDF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!