Sunday, June 10, 2012

mailbox makeover


A mailbox makeover is on our exterior "list" and I decided to tackle this project right away as we actually got a request from one of our followers for a mailbox idea!! (totally flattering)
This project is simple and cost only a few bucks.

This is the mailbox original to the house, once a shiny brass its seen better days. The past owner must have had signs taped to it as it was a sticky mess. I scrubbed the entire mailbox with Comet before beginning.

Mr. Bliss traced a picture of a bird for this project and then I cut it out

A little strip of painters tape will make the "wire"

Glued the cut out bird onto the mailbox

Using an old broken Starbucks mug I propped the mailbox so I could easily spray the sides

A bit of white outdoor spray paint was left over from another project.. so a white mailbox it is!

spray the box including the sides, I did NOT spray the back or inside since it would not be seen. ONCE THE PAINT IS DRY PEEL AWAY THE MASKING TAPE AND BIRD TO REVEAL YOUR BIRD AND WIRE SCENE BENEATH

I love the new mailbox! I think this is way cooler than anything I could have bought new at the hardware store!



If you are a fan of simple bird decor you might like this easy project I made a few years back



  1. Paint or spray plywood cut to your desired size
  2. Once the paint is dry glue a long piece of twine or string to the board.
  3. Find a bird template (many free ones are available online) and trace your desired number of birds onto wallpaper remnants.
  4. Glue the birds to your board and coat the entire board and birds with Modge Podge.
  5. Let dry and add picture hardware to the back. I would also suggest adding moulding to the perimeter for a more polished "framed" look.


Exterior
replace fencing
window boxes
plant trees
build playhouse
plant a garden
plant flowers
hang patio lanterns
spray mailbox
update storm door




28 comments:

  1. Love the mailbox. So simple and effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mailbox is such an excellent idea, love all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple and beautiful. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you, I really love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I hope I can remember to do some tape paint it looks so effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's it funny how something so simple can bring a whole new look to your front door and your day:) I just love the simple little bird:) And I do have to say it's a good thing that you had the handy broken Starbucks mug to prop it up with, Lol.
    Thanks for sharing at Freedom Fridays.
    Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyn,
      I had alot of fun doing this project

      Delete
  7. I love that tape and paint can make thinks so pretty!! And that someone is keeping the bird trend alive, i'm not ready for octopussoctipi (see a trend needs to be easy to spell) just yet, still digging the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      Im starting to notice that Ive got a bit of a bird theme going on.. not intentional but I think its pretty :) I do have an idea for an octopus project though.. haha

      Delete
  8. Wow. What a transformation! I have to Pin this for my sister! Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda. Just letting you know you will be one of Flash Blog Friday's featured posts next week. Cheers Bree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature! truly appreciate it

      Delete
  10. Super simple project - but makes a big difference. Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing and linking up to Totally Pinworthy Linky Party

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, I just found your adorable mailbox facelift through a blog hop, and want to know the really funny part?! Your mailbox facelift is directly underneath MY mailbox facelift! Now, come on, what are the chances?!

    By the way, I just became your newest follower, yay! Would so appreciate a follow back! Thanks a bunch and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is way cooler than any mailbox you could buy. Loving the birds, so darn cute, and seems appropriate they are there waiting, watching for mail! Your on your way to checking off items on your outdoor list. So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I wouldnt change this old heap of a mailbox (must be atleast 20 years old) for a new one now that the birdie greets us everyday. Thanks for having a look :)

      Delete
  14. That is one of the cutest tghings I've ever seen! Thanks for joining my party and I hope you'll be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww shucks, thanks for your sweet words

      Delete
  15. I love the bird on the branch. Great idea, looks brand new, better even. Found you at Make the Scene Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori
      thanks so much, I think it looks better than brand new too!

      Delete
  16. What a great mailbox makeover! Cute little birdie!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so cute! What a difference! Thanks so much for linking up to our Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Amanda, It's my pleasure to feature you in my Fab Friday Favorites post today. I absolutely love your darling project. Please feel free to take an "I Was Featured" button if you like. And do come back again this Friday to share what you've been up to lately!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for featuring me! you have a great blog, such an honor

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!!