Wednesday, July 18, 2012

2 out of 3 ain't bad

Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner

Mr. Bliss and I did not debate on flooring options very long when we made our reno plans for our little bungalow. With a 4 year old and 1 year old,  laminate is certainly the better choice for us and its a fraction of the cost of hardwood, durable and low maintenance.

We opted for a darker laminate but did not want to go too dark so we could avoid seeing dirt, footprints, hair, and scratches. So far our laminate although beautiful is turning out to be a bit high maintenance. The cleaning process is incredibly time consuming. In a one week period I'm certain we sweep a minimum of 30 times, vacuum daily, swiffer or shark at least 2 times a week and hand wash with a mixture of vinegar and water as needed. I'm willing to try anything that will ease the pain of cleaning the floor.

I've been noticing some cleaning tips online and came across  THIS RECIPE for cleaning laminate floors which calls for the following:

To a measuring cup or jar, add the following:
  • 1 part Water
  • 1 part White Vinegar
  • 1 part 2% Isopropyl Alcohol
  • Few drops of liquid dish detergent
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a fine mist spray bottle. Spray floors and wipe with a microfiber cloth or towel.




After giving the floors a good vacuum this is what they looked like. I did not use a flash for the photos so you could see the smudges and dirt (yum!) I gave the floors a light misting of the cleaning mixture using a spray bottle.



I used the "shark" cleaner but did not plug it in as I did not need steam. I found that the shark pads were not doing a great job of absorbing the cleaner, its definitely time they were replaced. So I tied an old rag over top before continuing



Final Results

Overall I was impressed with the solution, I found that it cleaned my floors much better than my usual vinegar and water solution and they were noticeably shinier. The only drawback is that my floors still looked slightly streaked. 2 out of 3 ain't bad! I will definitely continue to use this method and hope that once I get some new pads the streaking issue will be resolved.

AFTER



Thanks for stopping in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!!