Saturday, August 11, 2012

White Wash Fireplace

Our red brick fireplace has been crying for help since the day we moved in.


so red.. so sad


We've tried our best to accept the old brick but its not happening. The more we decorate the room the uglier the fireplace becomes.  Unfortunately a major overhaul on the fireplace is not yet a priority since it will be costly.
In the meantime, we have considered painting the brick and after a bit of exploring I found some beautifully done white wash treatments:


Via


via

It seemed that white washing the brick would be fairly simple and fast (I think you have learned by now that I am impatient). We I decided to go for it and lighten this baby up, the results are not what we expected Our brick looks extremely uneven and chalk like. The dark grout didn't lighten very much either.


Overall I ruined the fireplace. It kind of went from one UGLY to another. The bright side is that Roberta (my beloved deer above the fireplace)  has never looked better!

Here is how I white washed the fireplace, if this is something you are considering for your own fireplace I hope you have much better luck than I did.

 

White Wash











Oy.. off to fix this mess :(
Thanks for stopping in

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't think it's that bad... maybe it's coming across in pictures better than it looks in person? I think it's an improvement! Maybe painting with a more solid white paint would help? What are your plans for it now?

    I've been reading your blog for awhile and thought I should start commenting! I'm from BC. You're doing a great job on the house. Love the projects, the chalkboard wall is great and I love the art you made for your daughter's room. Such a darling graphic.

    All the best,

    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, I also don't think it looks that bad. Maybe the pictures look better than real life. Love all the projects you come up with. Keep the creative ideas coming!

    Helen (Lia's friend) (also from BC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah and Helen! BC followers.. cool!
    The pictures of the white wash dont look too bad, but in person its horrid. I've fixed it and hope to post pics soon. Thanks so much for following and for your positive encouragement. Cant wait to see what you think of the end result :)
    hugs
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that it is that bad either, it just needs a bit more work to make it look put together. I think that some spots show the brown/red thru too much, but that can be easily fixed. I think that a great improvement would be to add a wood (or just trim it out) mantle over the brick one and paint it white. Also, buy some black paint (made for painting BBQ's) and paint out the brass fireplace trim, as it will totally change the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words :) Great minds think alike.. check out todays post to see my updated fireplace including how to get rid of the brass trim :)
      thanks for following
      Amanda

      Delete
    2. Amanda, it looks great.. I did mine recently but I didn't do the grout... I am your second cousin.. so you can see how mine turned out if you like at my facebook page through your mom... I love it... but, a little tip... spray out the brass with high heat stove paint... that'll make it awesome... I sprayed out all the old brass on ours.. You can use Chalk Paint to add in some different colours for depth.

      Delete
    3. Hi Denise
      Thanks for your comments, I will definitely have to check out your photos.. im a sucker for any kind of DIY projects. We did change the brass on our fireplace, I think it was the post following the initial white wash post. We actually used black BBQ paint and it was very easy and inexpensive. Thanks for following!!

      Delete
  5. OMG Amanda, you are way to hard on yourself. I think it looks good. It looks like it's a washed out grey and grey is better than that red any day. Love your work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually came here because I loved the look of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!