Wednesday, September 26, 2012

$3 bench.. for realz

I need to vent. I'm finding my annoyance level increase with each visit to the store and with each cute item that pops up online with outrageous price tags. We currently have two childrens Ikea wooden chairs at our entrance so that the kiddos can sit down and put their shoes on without rolling around in the muck and grime of the entry way (okay its not that bad but humor me). Occasionally everyday you will find me and the Mr. also sitting in these tiny chairs to put on our shoes or holding Emily while we get her ready to go. Nothings says sexy like a grown man sitting in a baby chair.

Clearly we need a better solution so "bench for the entryway" went on the List
Easy peazy right? WRONG! I cannot believe the outrageous prices some companies want for a piece of wood with legs.. or if you want to be fancy you can have a piece of wood upholstered in a fabric my husband kids will wreck on day one. We are talking hundreds of dollars people! do you know how many freaking cans of spray paint and bags of goldfish crackers that could buy around here?

Off to pinterest I go, the new handbook for everything domestic.. if you haven't yet heard of pinterest you really need to climb out from under that rock. Anyhow, there are so many tutorials bragging about how these lovely little benches have been made  "low cost". I decide to attempt my own DIY and head to the local Home Depot to pick up some legs because if pinterest tells me to.. well you know. These legs are ridiculous, not cheap at all! the legs that would be long enough and thick enough for a decent bench were at least $15 each. Needing four of them that is $60 + cost for the rest of the materials I would need. This DIY was no longer sounding "low cost"

Anyhow the simple bench project was put on hold until a few weeks ago when we had our garage sale. We were sorting through things and deciding what should go and what should stay when Mr. Bliss pointed out my cute chairs that had seen better days and were falling apart. We decided they could go. Mr. Bliss had the brilliant idea of keeping the legs for our bench and so it began.

old beat up chairs, fell apart every time we lifted them

Removed the legs and all the parts including screws

The legs were a tad too tall, we cut them to be a foot long so the little ones could get up and down safely

A quick paint job with some leftover paint

Attach legs and voila! A new bench

Now this is a "low cost" DIY bench





Entryway
Bench for seating
Wall treatment
baseboards
paint door


Thanks for stopping by!


6 comments:

  1. Great idea! Perfect for everyone.....NeeCee@pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock my thrifty world, love it! Thank you for sharing at the The Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So clever and practical. I love it when I do a project on the cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea! And I love the little row of chalkboards above the hooks! It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is one heck of a deal. The bench turned out so cute. Very creative idea! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of unwanted stuff. Love it and it looks great with the chalkboards above it. How organized you are. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!