Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Granny presents the chair sock!


I sometimes get a bad rap for being the granny of the group.. "did you wash your hands?" " I need to get home its pretty late", "no its midnight, I cant go for coffee right now", "seriously who calls the house this late? its like 9:30!"

I suppose motherhood has made me even more granny like than before but I'm going to own that shit (an ecard taught me adding "shit" to the end of any sentence will bring out my inner gangsta and make me sound much younger - more on that later) and embrace it.

Where am I going with all this? When I was younger my parents had these knit / crochet things on the bottom of our kitchen chairs. I couldn't believe how lame this was and did a silent cheer the day my mom realized she needed to catch up with the times and removed them.
Chair socks? seriously?

Here I am today with wooden chairs and wooden floors and regardless of how clean the floors are the chairs always make a lovely streaky mess, especially if a small piece of fruit gets stuck underneath. The  felt protectors always seem to fall off and I worry about huge scratches running along the floor. My first thought? the freakin chair sock. With my tail behind my legs I asked my mom if she could make me some.

Ive never been happier to let my inner granny shine!





And guess what? As I did a quick google search for other like minded people who have brought back the chair sock and discovered that I'm not a granny, just cool. There are alot of chair socks out there.. and some are pretty darn nifty. Check out this awesome design featured on apartment therapy, updated but still a chair sock!

 
 


Directions for the chair socks:
Use 5 mm hook and cotton yarn.
Chain 6, slip stitch to join.
Rd. 1 Chain 1, 2 single crochet in each chain, slip stitch to join, Chain 1
Rd. 2 1 single crochet through the front loops only in each of the 12 single crochet, slip stitch to join, Chain 1.
Rd. 3 Though both loops 1 single crochet in each of the 12 single crochet. single crochet to join, Chain 1.
Rd. 4 - 10, repeat Rd. 3
Cut yarn and fasten off.
Secure socks to chairs using double sided tape.




Enjoy your week and let your granny shine.

12 comments:

  1. hehehe love them, because I'm cool like that too - so going to knit some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! I'm so glad to be following you, love your blog!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding?! I've never seen anything like this before, but it is absolutely BRILLIANT. What a fun way to protect your floor LOL. Saw you on Shabby Nest linky and came to say hello : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. I absolutely love the argyle ones. Adorable. However, if you don't want to use socks but you still want to protect your floors. Try using felt pads just for furniture legs. They come in different sized circles and are very inexpensive. You can find them at wal-mart and even the dollar store. Just sayin, in case you don't want your chairs to wear socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila
      Thanks so much for following the blog. I do use felt pads for most of the furniture in the house however they never stay put on the dining chairs. I suspect this has something to do with my two little munchkins :) I do love the socks though.. just added some to my entryway bench too

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness..what a cute and great idea...thanks Amanda...xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome. When I first saw the thumbnail on Someday Crafts I thought - my grandma had those! Ha. I absolutely LOVE your dining set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this idea!!! Thank you for joining in the fun at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Happy Sunday wishes xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking as an actual Granny {or "Grammy" as I prefer to be called} these are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing on Fabulous Friday. Warmly, Michelle
    Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess who was featured at Freedom Fridays Five Faves this week???? I am not telling, lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just sprinkled this post at all my favorite places: Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. Thank you so much for Sharing at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop! Have an amazing weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda I am a granny and I think the chair socks are so cool! I have never seen or heard of them. I hate the felt ones. Like you said, they always come off. Wonder if I can get one of my crocheting friends to make me some. Thanks for sharing them with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!