Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Ombre Penny Art







As of February 4, 2013 Canada will finally get rid of the penny!  I'm very happy to say goodbye, I am already imagining a life without approximately 68 pennies in my wallet and the bottom of my purse.
In honor of the disappearing penny I thought it only fitting to commemorate this announcement with some ombre art.  I first saw this tutorial at Doodle Craft and decided to give it a try.

I had a shadow box frame which I purchased at Superstore a few years ago on clearance for only 44 cents. I pulled off the acorn and kept the burlap in place.




After determining how many pennies we needed to fill up the space, Alex dumped the pennies into a solution of  1/4 cup white vinegar + 1 tsp salt

I promise the kid has clothes! keeping them on him is another story


Let the pennies bathe in the solution for approximately 15 minutes

Remove pennies from the solution. DO NOT rinse, just air dry on a towel or plate. In about 2 hours they will begin to change colours

Sort the pennies from lightest to the most blue. Once you have determined your arrangement use a hot glue gun to attach each penny to the canvas

 
 
 

Thanks for checking us out!




3 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! Great idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool thing to do. Love the science of turning the pennies green:) So Canada is getting rid of the penny, I so wish USA would, I always have a handful of pennies in the bottom of my purse.

    Have a super great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the touch of aqua on the pennies. thanks so much for sharing how to do it. Wonder if they will retire the penny here in the U.S. soon? The artwork will be a fun momento. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!