Sunday, January 13, 2013

Vintage inspired DIY art

Finally our Ribba frames are no longer empty and it cost us nothing!





We began by adding scrapbook paper to the frames, we had a book of  paper which has been used for many projects throughout the year like this and this and this. Best $14 spent! We thought of adding some black and white prints to the frames, or perhaps silhouettes or maybe even some text. At the time we were just happy to have a touch of color


And then...
Mr. Bliss' mama dropped off another batch of old magazines she had hanging around her place. I appreciate the magazines and looking at some outrageous advertisements of the past however I do not knit or cross stitch. I hated the thought of recycling them and so we decided to find a way to use them



We ripped out some of the pages and chose a few of our favorite FREE images from The Graphics Fairy. Using our printer we printed the black and white images right onto the magazine paper

This image seems to be printed on some type of cross stitch pattern

We cut the printed image into a square so it would be somewhat balanced in the frame. We also thought about taking away the colored paper and using plain paper or making the print larger but thought a splash of color wouldn't hurt. Mr. Bliss calls this project "mold" modern meets old.. (step back ladies, he is all mine)
Once the prints were cut we simply taped them to the centre of the scrapbook paper and framed. I would probably suggest using a spray adhesive or double sided tape however I didn't have those items on hand and I am super impatient.





Thanks for stopping by!

Amanda


7 comments:

  1. This looks so gorgeous! I've got 8 frames ready to start on my living room makeover but I just cannot figure out what to put in them. Did you do this to match the room? I usually do the art first and then decorate the room to match the art, maybe that's why I can't decide! This has given me a few ideas though. Thanks for sharing Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki,
      it began with the new discount curtains and the need to really get something into those frames. I thought the light colors would tie in nicely with the curtains and play off the dark sofa. Glad you like it, cant wait to see what you come up with!!

      Delete
  2. What size frames are those? I LOVE this idea!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for your kind words.
      I cant remember the dimensions of each frame but they are the RIBBA line from Ikea.

      Delete
  3. I know we need more art on our walls, but never thought that we might actually stored away. I will have to dig up what I have.
    Found you from Cornerstone.
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2013/01/sew-news.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those turned out great! I'm a new follower ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! Can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!